Register for your Wedding Registry like a pro!
The idea of registering can send your mind into a tizzy because there are just so many dang options. Should you keep your registry at one place or should you split among multiple stores? Will Bed Bath & Beyond have everything you need or would William & Sonoma be the better pick? Honestly, who knows because William & Sonoma, Target, Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond are all pretty equivalent. No matter where you register you will get everything that you need to start your new life with the essentials.
Making a wedding registry can be really stressful and cause some arguments between you and your partner but it can also be a TON of fun! It's important to keep in mind to make the most of the experience because it will be the only chance you get to do this with your soon-to-be spouse!
Because ya'll know I like lists so much (and if you don't that's totally cool but you should know that I really like lists) I came up with a list of some helpful advice for you.
- Go in with a game plan. Browse the online products of whatever store you ultimately end up choosing so you and your partner can be on the same page when walking through those doors. It's easy to get overwhelmed and sidetracked when going through all the aisles and a game plan will help with your defense to distractions!
- Don't over buy. Seriously, this may be the hardest one because who doesn't love shiny new gadgets but you will find once you unpack your gifts that you really didn't need five different kinds of spatulas, three sets of different kinds of mixing bowls, four different slotted spoons, and two different brands of tupperware. You will find that you won't use everything you think you might and it will end up sitting in your drawer untouched.
- Register a variety of priced items. It's a really great idea to have a range of items in price because not everyone may be able to afford the $300 vacuum of your dreams but they can afford $50 worth of baking supplies such as spatulas, whisks, measuring cups, and tablespoons. Plus, having more expensive items allows a group of guests to go in on gifts together.
- Listen to what your spouse wants. If you know that you're not the big cooker in the relationship then let your spouse take over what items they want for the kitchen. If you're the bigger cleaner then you focus on the kinds of supplies you want to use. As much as we like to think it's always about the Bride it's really not. It's just as much about the Groom and this registry is about both parties choosing items for the home they are going to share as partners in life and so both parties should have a say in the process.
- Take inventory of items you might already have. The last thing you want to have happen is multiples of items because you forgot what you already have. Make sure to look over items you know that you're already bringing into the marriage and write it down and bring the list with you to your registry consultation. Starting this beforehand can also help you remember other items that you want or are important enough to you that you don't want to forget.
- Don't worry about finishing your registry in one day. Span it out over a few weekends and take your time with it. Most stores now a days allow you to access your registry at home and add/delete items right from the comfort of your couch so there's not a huge pressure to get to the store location. You will change your mind more than once, remember a new items every few weeks, and want to change flatware patterns on a mood change so it's totally cool if it takes you two months to nail down your registry. It's also totally cool if you're changing your registry up until the week of your wedding. I know I was ;)
- Register right away. Don't be afraid to register immediately following getting engaged! People will start asking you where you're registered at and you can begin to share with friends and family or you can have a solid idea of what you want by the time Bridal Shower invites get sent out. Whatever the situation there's no point in not jumping into the fun!
- Register for more than household items. It's perfectly acceptable to put some not so conventional items on your registry now a days. Make sure to include storage items and while you're at it go ahead and throw on some rugs that you want to accent your living room with. Always wanted that foot massage? Go ahead and register it! What do you have to lose? Now is the time to ask for all those things that you want and not feel bad about it!
There is no correct way to make a registry because each registry varies with each couple and no two couples are the same. So don't sweat it if you're registry doesn't look like someone else's. Just have FUN and enjoy the process of it and look forward to being married!!